search this blog

10.03.2012

cheesecloth ghosts

I started off my Halloween decorations with a banner and now I have moved onto something a little spookier...ghosts! I've seen these cheesecloth ghosts done a million and one times (they're even on the front of the cheesecloth packaging) but I thought they would be a fun addition to the blog and my Halloween decor.
_____________________________________
Here is what you'll need to make your own:


cheesecloth
small balloons
cups (or water bottles)
liquid starch
sticks, pencils, etc for arms
carboard & wax paper
a small bucket
rubber gloves
small piece of black felt for eyes
tape
_____________________________________

I enlisted the help of my mom, aunt and cousin (and I'm glad I did...because it would have been a little messy to complete this on my own). Using 2 solo cups, a balloon, some tape and pencils, we started by making our "ghost molds." 


Next, we put down some cardboard in the garage, covered it with wax paper (this is important because your ghost will stick to the cardboard) and we dumped some starch into a bucket. We chose not to dilute the starch.


Next, we cut our cheesecloth to size. Each piece was a little different (they didn't have to be perfect) and we just based it on the size of each ghost mold. 


We then did an assembly line: my mom and I dunked the cheesecloth, rung it out and placed it over the ghosts molds. Someone else would straighten out the cheesecloth so it laid nicely.



We allowed them to dry for a few days (while we were out of town). When we got back, I popped the balloons, removed the molds and added felt eyes. We now all have spooky cheesecloth ghosts to add to our Halloween decorations.



Photobucket
[p.s. this post may be linked to any number of these blogs]

8 comments:

  1. your ghost turned out sooo cute!! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and your little "ghosties" are adorable...I really like the upraised "arms"! I did this with my son many years ago using a sugar and water mixture that hardened. I saw this idea on a show on HGTV called the Carol Duvall Show. I still have one of the ghosts we made over 23 years ago! I cannot believe the sugar starch lasted so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet. That's a great memory you can pull out every year for Halloween :) I hope my "off the shelf" starch lasts as long as your sugar starch does. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. So cute! I was going to try my hand at making cheesecloth ghosts this weekend :) I'd love for you to link this up to Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/10/do-something-crafty-60/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and the invite. Headed over there now to link up :) Have fun making ghosts!

      Delete
  4. these are cute! i don't like "scary" halloween decor... so this is great. Kids will like doing this too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the perfect "non-scary" ghosts :) I hope you had fun making your own!

      Delete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...